Twenty PEN SA Members Longlisted for the 2017 Sunday Times Literary Awards
04 Apr 2017
The longlists for the 2017 Sunday Times Literary Awards, consisting of the Barry Ronge Fiction Prize and the Alan Paton Award for non-fiction, have been announced. The winners of the two categories will each receive R100 000.
Congratulations to the twenty PEN SA members that have been longlisted!
2017 Sunday Times Barry Ronge Fiction Prize
The Barry Ronge Fiction Prize longlist was chosen by judges Rehana Rossouw (chair), Africa Melane and Kate Rogan. Rossouw remarked that “The longlist this year contains titles that weave the land and the people into compelling tales.”
See the list of PEN SA members who have been longlisted below and view the full Barry Ronge Fiction Prize longlist on Books LIVE.
- Our Fathers by Karin Brynard
- Like It Matters by David Cornwell
- Travels With my Father by Karen Jennings
- The Printmaker by Bronwyn Law-Viljoen
- Nwelezelanga: The Star Child by Unathi Magubeni
- The Yearning by Mohale Mashigo
- Who Killed Piet Barol? by Richard Mason
- Period Pain by Kopano Matlwa
- Little Suns by Zakes Mda
- Agents of the State by Mike Nicol
- The Woman Next Door by Yewande Omotoso
- Outside the Lines by Ameera Patel
- The Peculiars by Jen Thorpe
- The Safest Place You Know by Mark Winkler
2017 Sunday Times Alan Paton Award
The Alan Paton Award longlist was chosen by judges PEN SA member Pippa Green (chair), Tinyiko Maluleke and Johann Kriegler. Green said of the longlist that “The books raise critical questions about our past, present and future. Together they tell a story of our fractured and bound humanity, not only in South Africa but around the world and through time.”
See the list of PEN SA members who have been longlisted below and view the full Alan Paton Award longlist on Books LIVE.
- Continental Shift: A Journey into Africa’s Changing Forces by Kevin Bloom (member of PEN SA) and Richard Poplak
- Darwin’s Hunch: Science, Race, and the Search for Human Origins by Christa Kuljian
- Gang Town by Don Pinnock
- Letters of Stone: From Nazi Germany to South Africa by Steven Robins
- The Sword and the Pen: Six Decades on the Political Frontier by Allister Sparks
- Hitler, Verwoerd, Mandela and Me by Marianne Thamm
(Image courtesy of Books LIVE)