Call for Submissions for the Dinaane Debut Fiction Award
02 Feb 2016
Deadline: 29 February 2016
Press release from Jacana Media:
If you are an aspirant wordsmith and want the chance to share your story, then this is the opportunity you have been waiting for.
You stand a chance to win R35 000, get great coverage as a debut author and have your book published by Jacana Media, if your manuscript is selected as the winner of the Dinaane Award by the panel of judges.
The Jacana Literary Foundation invites debut fiction writers from the SADC region to submit their manuscript during this extended entry period. Entries now close on 29 February 2016.
(Authors who submitted their entry during the 2015 submissions period need not resubmit.)
Enquiries can be directed to email@example.com
- Submissions are open to English works of fiction only.
- Only permanent residents or citizens of the following countries may apply: Angola, Botswana, Democratic Republic of Congo, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Seychelles, Tanzania (including Zanzibar), Zambia and Zimbabwe.
- Authors must not have had a work of fiction (novel or novella) published prior to the award.
- The award is judged blind, so manuscripts which feature the author’s name or details by which they may be identified, will be disqualified. The manuscript should be marked with the title of the work only.
- An electronic copy of the manuscript, along with a short biography (100 words or less) and author details should be submitted to Jacana Media via this link: http://www.jacana.co.za/awards/dinaane-debut-fiction-award-entry-form
- Only electronic copies of the author’s biography are accepted.
- In addition, TWO printed copies of the manuscript must be sent to Jacana Media, addressed to:
The Dinaane Debut Fiction Award
c/o Jacana Media
10 Orange Street
- Incomplete entries will be disqualified.
- Manuscripts should be a minimum of 40 000 words in length. Short stories do not qualify.
- Submissions must have been authored by one person. Co-authored pieces or works of collaboration do not qualify.
- Any entries which secure a publishing deal before the shortlist has been confirmed must be withdrawn by the author.
- Entries close at 5pm on 29 February – for all entries, both the electronic submission and two printed manuscripts must have reached us by this time.
(Image courtesy of Jacana Media)